It is pretty common these days to hear the term ‘Spirit Guides’, yet, there can be some confusion as to what they actually are. So, I aim to dispel many misconceptions and clarify the terminology surrounding Guides.
Firstly, everybody has Spirit Guides – even if you think you don’t, you do! For those who have worked with their guides, the below will hopefully help deepen your connection and offer you a clearer framework. If you’ve never worked with your spirit guides before, by the end of the post,
What is a Spirit Guide?
As the name ‘spirit’ suggests, these are beings that do not occupy the physical realm. If we accept that everything in the Universe is made up of energy, we vibrate slowly enough to exist on the physical plane. In contrast, spirit oscillates at a much faster, lighter rate, occupying a different level of existence. Most guides were once human, i.e. they once occupied this earth at some point in history, but are now deceased and live in the spirit realm. These spirits have agreed to work with you, and you alone, to help you on your Soul’s path.
What does “Work with you and you alone” mean?
Generally speaking, there are two types of Spirit Guide:
1) Personal Guides
2) Working Guides
Firstly, everybody has at least three, not one, Personal Guides (in Eastern traditions, it is a minimum of four). This is regardless of whether you decide to communicate with them or not; they are still there, gently offering guidance. Occasionally, you may have more guides for specific periods in your life. Also, these guides can come and go throughout your lifetime, or they may remain with you from birth until death.
Your Three Personal Guides:
1) On your right-hand side, you have your Main Guide: this Guide is interested in your soul’s development, otherwise known as soul evolution. But what is ‘soul evolution’? OK, let’s take a step back:
- Simply put, what is a Soul? A soul is the Consciousness of a living being. In other words, it is everything that the physical body (matter) is not. So, a soul makes up our reason, character, feeling, memory, and perception.
- The Soul Evolution is the lessons faced and learned to get closer to Self-realization or Enlightenment. In other words, we are trying to overcome the sense of ‘self’ (small ‘s’), the ego, to unite with God-consciousness. By doing so, we can see the reality of life as it is–we’re all connected and what happens in the one, happens in the whole.
2) Behind you stands your Guardian Angel. Some mistakenly believe that your Guardian Angel is above you, but this is because their energy signature is so large that they can appear ‘floating’ above your head as opposed to directly behind you, where they truly are. As the name suggests, they are there to protect you in any way possible. Best described as a mother figure – although there is no gender in energy, only how we perceive it through our rational minds; their desire to protect and love is unconditional.
3) To your Left-Hand side is your Gatekeeper – sometimes known as Door Keepers: As the name suggests, this is your protector, much like your very own nightclub bouncer; he is the one with the clipboard saying, “If your name’s not down, you ain’t coming in”. He makes sure that only energy, which serves your highest good, is coming near (if you ask them to, that is). Your Gatekeeper is not there to offer advice or guidance; this is what your Main Guide and Guardian angel can do; instead, your Gatekeeper is a protective ‘shield’.
They tend to have a much denser feel to them; they’re often not pretty, and they are not meant to be – it is no good having a beautiful maiden as a Gate Keeper; their role is to protect and shut out any unwanted attention.
You can call upon your Gatekeeper any time; this is particularly important before undertaking any psychic or mediumship work. Similarly, if you’re ever in a situation where you feel uncomfortable or around someone that makes you feel uneasy – silently call in your Gatekeeper to push back anything that isn’t serving you.
In addition, you may have noticed that the positioning of these three personal guides forms a sacred triangle around you – a very powerful spiritual number and shape.
Working with your Personal Guides:
Because your own guides are working with you and only with you, you are always linked. Therefore, unlike working Guides, you do not need to open up to connect with them (if you have no idea what ‘open up’ means, do not worry). You merely need to set an intention to communicate with them and give yourself a quiet space and time to allow the relationship to strengthen.
Remember, your Master Guide and Guardian Angel are there to offer you advice and support – they will ‘talk’ with you. On the other hand, gatekeepers are like your security guard; their job isn’t to converse or guide but rather to protect.
Moreover, and this is important to remember at all times, your guides cannot break your free will. Therefore, they will only communicate and guide if you ask them to. They cannot tell you what to do, as again, this undermines the agency you have over your own life, but they can make suggestions that are in your best interest.
What are working guides?
As the name suggests (the spirit world is nothing if not tidy) these are guides who work with you for specific tasks/practices/development. For instance, I have a guide for:
- Psychic readings and mediumistic sittings, he is highly curious, has a strong, energetic force and is insightful.
- Healing practices, she has
a verygentle and pure energy.
- Trance and channelling work (a post covering trance & channelling coming soon). These messenger Guides need to share knowledge and/or experiences with the world.
- Then there are spirit animals and power animals – these are another manifestation of your working guides and/or your personal guides, but they can have a specific function too. For example, shamans tend to have smaller animals working with them, who are more adept and agile so they can more easily remove attachments, cords and/or entanglements.
- Teaching guides – these direct you towards the information needed for further spiritual evolution. For instance, they introduce books, classes and even other people from which we may excel in our understanding of philosophical and spiritual aspects.
How Do I Get to Know My Spirit Guide?
Here at The Wellness Foundry we have many ways for you to connect with your Guides on a deeper level:
1: Join our Spiritual Psychic Development groups to learn how to connect with your Guides
2: Book in for a Spirit Guide Drawing, you will receive a comprehensive reading on who your Guide is, where they originate from, and why they have chosen to work with you. You will also receive a personalized portrait of your Guide, so you know what they look like: