As many of us know, it is fantastic to introduce crystals into our wellbeing practices. The stones can hold our intentions, offer an energetic boost as well as healing. However, it is essential to understand the materials and how to care for them properly:
What does ‘cleansing crystals’ mean?
Imagine wearing a white suit in a busy city – it would become dirty as you brush against other people, surfaces and air pollution. So you would need to clean it. This analogy is the same with crystal; when you cleanse them, you are removing any contaminants or unwanted, negative energy.
Why is important to cleanse crystals?
- To reenergize them. Much like a battery, the crystal’s store of energy depletes. Keeping crystals cleansed ensures that they continue to emit high vibrations.
- It releases any negative or stagnant energy from them.
- It aligns the crystals to work with you and hold your intention.
How often should I cleanse my crystals?
The short answer is, it depends. If you use your crystals regularly on others, you’ll want to cleanse them more often than if you’re only using them on yourself. I personally don’t like other people handling my crystals without my permission, so I purify them after being exposed to a busy environment.
One thing that never changes is you need to cleanse newly acquired crystals. You don’t know what environment they were stored in beforehand, and you need to align them with your intention and purposes.
How do I cleanse my crystals?
Cleansing is not a physical process – rather a ritual one. The most important thing to remember is that it is the intention that cleanses crystals. The below are methods to focus this intention, as ever follow your intuition:
- Moon Shine: The simplest way is to put them outside, under a full moon. Be sure to collect them first thing in the morning, so the sun’s rays don’t bake the power you have restored. (Ideally, you would be retrieving them before the sun comes up – but I can’t say I’ve ever managed!)
- Hands-on: Take the crystal in the palm of your hand and imagine white light emanating from your hands clearing the crystal’s energy, or use Reiki energy if you are attuned. Better still; you can place the
crsytalinside an upturned glass and cup your hadndsaround it,so that you are not touching the stone. Stop when the moment feels right (after approximately 5 minutes).
- Air: Immerse your crystals in the smoke of Sage or Pola Santo (see here) until it seems to come back to life. This method is the best option for larger crystals. Use a feather or your hand to waft the smoke around the crystal. Allow around 5
- Water: You can also place the crystal in a bowl of salt water (Himalayan pink salt works well, but any unprocessed salt that is fine). Imagine white light entering the water, again until the time feels right, or approximately 5 minutes. Then leave the crystal in the saline solution for a further 20 minutes or so. (N.B. You cannot steep all in salt water, or even water, as they dissolve – such as selenite.)
- Earth: Amazing for grounding and protective stones – put them back into nature or better still, dig them into the earth. Be sure to tie your crystal to a string that pokes out of the ground or in a flower pot. Otherwise, it might get lost; they tend to sink into the soil! Do this is dry weather and from one new moon to the next new moon, although a week will still work wonders.
Some crystals self-cleanse, hence why they make amazing healing stones: Selenite, Citrine, Kyanite and Azeztulite are self-cleaning. Selenite can cleanse and re-charge itself and other rocks! So it’s worth having many in your collection.
My name is Fiongal Greenlaw. I am the founder of The Wellness Foundry, London.
Several years ago, my health hit crisis point because of the constant pressure I was putting on myself. So I began a journey to find a solution to my condition:
I discovered many incredible practices, and my relief was so great, that I was driven to share these treatments with others. Since then I feel as though I have aligned with my life’s purpose: to help others on their journey.