What is a Full Moon Ceremony?
A Full Moon Ceremony is a spiritual ritual done during the time of a Full Moon when the Moon is fully illuminated. The purpose of a Full Moon Ceremony is for you to harness the energies of the Full Moon by intention-setting manifestation. It’s also a great time for release and letting go of what no longer serves us. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to create your own Full Moon Ceremony.
Why do a Full Moon Ceremony, and what are the benefits of doing Full Moon Ceremonies?
- Harnessing the heightened energies surrounding Full Moons can be helpful in manifestation.
- Our intuition is heightened during Full Moons, making it an ideal time to ask for insights from Spirit and the Universe. This is a great time to meditate and get an intuitive reading.
- Performing a collective Full Moon Ceremony with your friends, loved ones, or like-minded people can foster a sense of community.
- Full Moon Ceremonies are an excellent way to reconnect with nature, your spirituality, and the Self.
- The Full Moon is a time to celebrate and embrace feminine energies, and receive.
What rituals might a Full Moon Ceremony entail?
- Grounding and Centering: Before you perform your Full Moon Ceremony, ensure you are grounded and centred practice. If you don’t have a grounding practice, you can learn how to develop your own practice on our podcast episode on grounding.
- Express Gratitude: Priot to setting intentions on what you wish to manifest, express gratitude and acknowledge the blessings you already have. Gratitude is an often forgotten step in manifestation.
- Intention-Setting: Clarify your intention for the Full Moon. What do you want to manifest for this moon cycle?
- Create a Sacred Space: Find a quiet and peaceful location where you can comfortably perform your ritual. You may want to bring specific items that correspond with the theme of the Full Moon, or the astrological sign it is associated with. This can be candles, crystals, or other symbolic items.
- Do a Tarot or Oracle Reading, or Meditate for Insights: Because the energies and intuitions are heightened, the Full Moon is an excellent time to connect with your Spirit Guides, Ancestors, Animal Guides, and other members of your Spirit team. If you’re unsure how to communicate with them, you can try using Tarot or oracle cards to connect with your Spirit Team. Read our guide for reading for yourself.
- Record Your Experience: Journal about it.
*Remember that this ritual is highly personal, so adjust and adapt as you see fit. The main thing is to honour the changing of the seasons and express gratitude.
Full Moon Ceremonies 101: Some things to consider before performing your own ceremony
Each month’s Full Moon has a traditional name. The following are the traditional names of each month’s Full Moons:
- January: Wolf Moon
- February: Snow Moon
- March: Worm Moon
- April: Pink Moon
- May: Flower Moon
- June: Strawberry Moon
- July: Buck Moon
- August: Sturgeon Moon
- September: Corn Moon
- October: Harvest Moon or Hunters Moon
- November: Beaver Moon
- December: Cold Moon
Also, consider the astrological placements of the Moon and the Sun as they play a significant role in what kind of energies are heightened.
What to prepare and bring to a Full Moon Ceremony:
What to Bring:
- Comfy clothes
- Notebook and pen (or journal)
- Water or refreshments
- Your preferred method of cleansing and maintaining spiritual hygiene—this can be sage, palo santo, aura sprays, or incense.
- You may want to bring some offerings if your ritual involves working with an altar.
What to Prepare:
Set your intentions: Think about what you would like to manifest under the energy of the Full Moon. Consider what you would like to release. What kind of energies, changes, or improvements would you like to manifest?
Be open-minded if you’re looking for insights.
The Full Moon’s energy is great for practising mindfulness. If you prefer, you can meditate with meditation music or a guided meditation audio file.
If you have a crystal you like to work with and would like to recharge during the session, feel free to bring it along.
Some like using the energies of the Full Moon to recharge their favourite crystals.
What crystals should I use for a Full Moon Ceremony?
As mentioned above, each Full Moon has a theme and an associated astrological sign. Work with a matching crystal or any crystal you feel especially connected with.
I’m not quite ready to perform my own Full Moon Ceremony; where can I join a guided group ceremony?
If you’re in the UK, The Wellness Foundry hosts our very own monthly Full Moon Ceremonies. Join us here.