Am I Psychic?
Do you ever get the sense that you might be psychic? Have you intuited something happening before it does? Does your gut instinct lead you in the right direction time and time again?
Maybe you’re uncertain that it means anything? Or perhaps it even frightens you a little? Possibly you don’t know where to start?
Many of my clients ask, “Am I psychic?” or “How did you know you were psychic?”. I tell them it isn’t one thing that tells you, but a series of ‘nudges’ from the Universe. And these nudges become increasingly difficult to ignore! Therefore, I decided to write this guide, to share with you some pointers about whether your psychic self is opening up.
First, let me distinguish the difference between a psychic and a medium.
Psychic: is someone who receives information about someone else’s life through that person’s energy. A psychic might just ‘know’ things about another person. Think about someone you met at a party and you could just tell they had a bad aura about them. That’s psychic information in it’s basic form. Readings can be conducted face-to-face or remotely, for instance via telephone or video call. Some psychics use divitation tools to assist them, such as Tarot cards, runes, tea leaves or a scrying mirror. It’s important to note, the objects themselves aren’t psychic, but rather act as a prompt for your intuitive knowing.
Medium: is someone that communicates with Spirit. In this sense, Spirit is consciousness without physical form. Put another way, this is the energy (life-force) or thought-forms of a person, but not contained within a human body. A medium will bring through ancestors, loved ones, Guides, Ascended Masters, or people the sitter once knew.
So, can you be both psychic and a medium? Yes. To use the Eskimo/Inuit analogy here: all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums. Strictly speaking, a medium can be ‘unpsychic’, however, it is highly unlikely because the training required to be an effective medium would almost certainly include some psychic development as well.
Can anyone be a psychic?
Yes; ultimately, it is our sixth sense. It’s our ability to know without needing rational justification. Have you ever walked into a room occupied by two people, and you can just sense an air of tension? Even though nothing is said, you can tell the two people have just been arguing. Or have you been thinking of someone when they call you? This is your psychic ability in motion.
However, some people are naturally more psychic than others. To draw a comparison, individuals with innate creative abilities find it easier to paint than someone who isn’t highly artistic. But that doesn’t mean that both individuals can’t attend art class to improve their illustration skills. The same is true for psychics. This is why I refrain from referring to psychic skills as ‘a gift’. Because the word implies some individuals ‘have it’ and others don’t whilst also suggesting that it isn’t something that needs training and development. It’s for this reason, I prefer to use the term ‘skill’ or ‘ability’.
In addition, psychic development also requires an unending amount of inner work, including self-reflection and growth. Although this isn’t easy to define, those who train as psychics undergo a continual inner journey and transformation. It needs a lot of patience and trust, both of self and the Universe.
The 3 main types of psychicism:
There are eight categories of psychic senses, known as the clairs, which comes the French word meaning ‘clear’. The main three are:
- Clairvoyance | ‘Clear seeing’: refers to receiving messages in visual form. For instance, a psychic might ‘see’ objects, symbols, colours, persons or locations as projections in their mind’s eye. The Third-Eye chakra, located between the eyebrows, governs our claivoyance.
- Clairsentience | ‘Clear feeling’: describes a psychic feeling the energy of a situation or person. Clairsentience is ruled by the lower chakras, including the Sacral, Solar Plexus and Heart.
- Clairaudience | ‘Clear hearing’: the rarest of the three to have naturally. Information is gathered audibly, such as music, spoken words, tones of voice or other sounds. The Throat chakra controls it.
In addition, there is Clairalience, ‘ clear smelling’; Clairgustance, ‘ clear tasting’; Claircognizance, meaning ‘clear knowing’; Clairtangency, ‘ clear touch’; and Clairempathy, ‘ clear emotions.’
7 signs that you’re a natural psychic
Here are some common indicators:
- Experiencing the ‘clairs’:
- Clairsentience: you feel overwhelmed in public places because you’re feeling another person’s energy. Or perhaps you sense the energy in a room or space.
- Clairvoyance: ‘seeing’ images or symbols on the screen of your mind in dreams, meditation or everyday situations.
- Clairaudience: can be the most unnerving of experiences, as they can literally be ‘voices in your head’. However, the words should be loving and supportive. If they are not, you may need to find qualified help from a spiritual healer or health expert.
- Experiences in meditation that are difficult to explain: During our meditation practice, we work a lot with the mind and our life energy. Therefore, it’s hardly surprising that psychic abilities might awaken after long periods of regular meditation. Sometimes it can feel like a ‘magnet’ is drawing your energy out of your body, or your limbs are moving of their own accord. These can be symbols that Spirit is starting to work with you.
- Dreams: is one of the most prevalent signs of emerging psychic talents. Often, you can dream of events, people or messages that later come true. The subconscious mind can deliver this guidance because the conscious mind – responsible for rational and critical thinking – is switched off, so we can’t discount the information that arises.
- Experiencing frequent synchronicities: is a sure sign that Spirit is working with you and guiding you on your life’s path.
- A heightened interest in symbolism, archetypes, tools of divination, and dream meaning: finding yourself being more drawn to areas of esoteric knowledge, including religious scripture, could be your subconscious hinting that your psychic abilities need attention.
- You experience déjà vu, time and time again, feeling as though you have been somewhere before or know a stranger.
- Prophetic moments: predicting someone’s reaction – even what they’re about to say – before it happens. For example, picking up the phone when someone is about to call or intuiting something specific will happen before it does.
N.B. Many people mistake being psychic for predicting the future. Although looking at how events might unfold is part of the work, it is not the main focus. Instead, a psychic reader explores the opportunities surrounding a person and how they might best utilize them moving forward.
Life events that can trigger psychic awareness
Particular moments in a person’s life could awaken psychic ability:
- Having a psychic reading: professional psychics will often sense or see the intuitive skills in others and offer suggestions on how you might expand them.
- Death of a loved one: people report visitations by those who have passed, especially family members, in dreams or waking states. These experiences often change their perspective of the soul.
- Regular or intensive meditation: those who habitually meditate might also experience psychic events. Because both practices work with the mind, they cultivate awareness beyond everyday consciousness.
- Energy healing or attunement: Most energy healing initiations (such as Reiki) opens the crown charka – our link to the divine and Spirit – and therefore can awaken latent psychic skills.
- Some people mistake intoxicatants or drug use (particularly psychedelics) as opening us up to psychic experiences. Although these substances can catalyze particular mental states outside the everyday conscious mind, as psychics, we are looking for a deliberate, controlled and wilful connection with energy and Spirit. When we are not of clear mind, we open ourselves up to anything that might want to come through. Put another way, you wouldn’t leave the front door of your house wide open. Psychics working while intoxicated is the same thing. Remember: don’t mix your spirits! Becuase of this, you may find at the beginning of your spiritual journey you have a growing intolerance for all intoxicants. This is perfectly normal. And indeed, this aversion may decrease over time, or result in a permanent lifestyle change.
OK, I’m psychic, now what?
Firstly, I want to assure you that you are not alone. There’s lots of help and guidance out there for those wishing to explore their talents.
In the beginning, it is not uncommon for people to find a psychic awakening frightening or overwhelming. It can interfere with your relationships, emotional and mental processes, and physical health. But with the proper support and tutorage, it can be rewarding, exciting and fascinating! You will receive the necessary tools to help develop and harness your skills as well as others with whom you can share your experiences. Here at The Wellness Foundry we run several psychic development groups, workshops and events to help people expand their psychic abilities.
One of the best ways to uncover and work with your psychic abilities is to book a reading with a fellow psychic! We will be able to advise you on what particular talents you have. How to cultivate them and what to do next. As well as answer any further questions you may have.
Leave any questions or experiences you would like to share in the comments below.