Am I Psychic?
Do you ever get the sense that you might be psychic? Have you intuited something happening before it does? Does your gut instinct lead you in the right direction again and again?
But maybe you’re uncertain that it means anything, or perhaps it even frightens you a little. Possibly you’re interested in exploring your intuitive side but don’t know where to start?
Many of my clients ask, “Am I psychic?” or “How did you know you were psychic?” I reply that it wasn’t just one thing that tells you, but a series of ‘nudges’ from the Universe, which become increasingly difficult to ignore. For this reason, I decided to write this guide, which should give you some pointers as to whether your intuitive self is starting to open up…
First, let me distinguish the difference between a psychic and a medium.
Psychic: is someone who receives information about someone else’s life through the sitter’s energy field. A psychic might just ‘know’ things about another person. Readings can be conducted face-to-face or remotely, for instance, via telephone or video call. Sometimes a psychic will use Tarot cards, runes, scrying –the interpretation of patterns from mirrored surfaces – or other divination tools to help them find a ‘way in’ into another person’s energy.
Medium: is someone that communicates with Spirit. In this sense, Spirit is consciousness without physical form, i.e. the energy (life-force) or thought-form of a person not contained in a human body. A medium will bring through ancestors, loved ones, Guides, Ascended Masters, or people the sitter once knew.
So, can you be both psychic and a medium? Yes. To use the Eskimo/Inuit analogy here: all mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums. Strictly speaking, a medium can be ‘unpsychic’. However, it is improbable because training the skills of a medium would almost certainly include some sort of psychic development along the way.
Can anyone be a psychic?
Yes. Ultimately, it is our sixth sense; it is our ability to know without needing rational justification. Have you ever walked into a room occupied by two people, and you can just sense an air of tension? Even though nothing is said, you can tell the two people have just been arguing. Or you’ve been thinking of someone at the very moment they call you? This is your psychic ability in motion.
However, some people are naturally more psychic than others. To draw a comparison, individuals with innate creative talent find it easier to paint than someone who isn’t highly artistic, but that doesn’t mean that both individuals can’t attend art class to improve their illustration skills. It’s the same for psychicism, which is why I refrain from referring to psychic skills as ‘a gift’ that doesn’t need training, as it implies some individuals ‘have it’ and others don’t. I prefer to use the term ‘skill’ or ‘ability’.
In addition, psychic development also requires an unending amount of inner work, i.e. self-reflection and growth. This isn’t easy to define, but those that train as a psychic go through a continual inner journey and transformation. It needs a large amount of patience and trust, both of Self and the Universe.
The 3 main types of psychicism:
There are eight categories of psychism, known as the ‘clairs’. The main three are:
- Clairvoyance | ‘Clear seeing’: refers to receiving messages in visual form. For instance, a psychic might ‘see’ objects, symbols, colours, persons or locations as projections on their mind’s eye. Clairvoyance is governed by the Third-Eye chakra, located between the eyebrows.
- Clairsentience | ‘Clear feeling’: describes the psychic feeling the sensations of a situation or person. Clairsentience is ruled by the lower chakras, including the Sacral, Solar Plexus and Heart.
- Clairaudience | ‘Clear hearing’: the rarest of the three to have naturally. This is information gathered audibly, such as music, spoken words, tones of voice or other sounds. The Throat chakra controls it.
There is also Clairalience ‘clear smelling’, Clairgustance ‘clear tasting’, Claircognizance meaning ‘clear knowing’, Clairtangency ‘clear touch’ and Clairempathy ‘clear emotions.’
7 signs that you’re a natural psychic
Here are some common indicators:
- Experiencing the ‘clairs’:
- Clairsentience: you feel overwhelmed in public places because you‘re feeling another person’s energy. Or perhaps you sense the energy in a room or space.
- Clairvoyance: ‘seeing’ images or symbols on the screen of your mind in dreams, meditation or everyday situations.
- Clairaudience: can be the most unnerving of experiences, as they can literally be ‘voices in your head’. However, the words should be loving and supportive. If they are not, you may need to find qualified help, either from a spiritual or health expert.
- Experiences in meditation that are difficult to explain: During our meditation practice, we work a lot with the mind and our life energy, so it is hardly surprising that psychic abilities might awaken during a sitting. Sometimes it can feel like a ‘magnet’ is drawing your energy out of your body, or your limbs are moving of their own accord. These can be symbols that spirit is starting to work with you.
- Dreams: This is one of the most prevalent signs of emerging psychic talents. The subconscious mind can deliver the messages and guidance because the conscious mind – responsible for rational and critical thinking – is switched off, so we can’t discount the information that arises. Often, you can dream of events, people or messages that later come true.
- Experiencing frequent synchronicities: This is a sure sign that spirit is working with you and guiding you on your life’s path.
- A heightened interest in symbolism, archetypes, tools of divination, and dream meaning: finding yourself being more drawn to areas of esoteric knowledge, including religious scripture, could be your subconscious hinting that your psychic abilities need attention.
- You experience déjà vu, time and time again: feeling as though you have been somewhere before, or you’ve met a stranger before.
- Prophetic moments: predicting someone’s reaction – even what they’re about to say – before it happens; picking up the phone when someone is about to call, or intuiting that something specific is going to happen, and then it actually happens.
N.B. Many people mistake being psychic for predicting the future. Although looking at how events might unfold is part of the work, it is not the main focus. Instead, a psychic reader explores the opportunities surrounding a person and how they might best utilize them moving forward.
Life events that can trigger psychic awareness
Particular moments in a person’s life could awaken psychic ability:
- Having a psychic reading: professional psychics will often sense or see the intuitive skills in others and offer suggestions on how you might expand them.
- Death of a loved one: it is known for people to report visitations by those that have passed, especially family members, in dreams or waking state. These experiences often change their perspective of the soul.
- Regular or intensive meditation: those who habitually meditate might also experience psychic events. This is because both practices work with the mind, specifically cultivating awareness beyond ‘everyday’ consciousness.
- Energy healing or attunement: Most energy healing initiations (such as Reiki) opens the crown charka – our link to the divine and spirit – and therefore can awaken latent psychic skills.
- One event that some people mistake as a trigger for psychic awareness is intoxication or drug use (particularly psychedelics). Yes, this can catalyze a certain mental state that is outside of the everyday conscious mind, but as psychics, we are looking for a conscious, controlled and wilful connection with energy and spirit. When we are not of clear mind, we open ourselves up to anything that might want to come through – you wouldn’t leave the front door of your house wide open, psychic work while intoxicated is the same. This is why, since beginning my psychic journey, my use of intoxications has all but stopped. Remember: don’t mix your spirits!
OK, I’m psychic, now what?
Firstly, I want to assure you that you are not alone, and there is lots of help and guidance out there for those wishing to explore their talents.
In the beginning, it is not uncommon for people to find psychicism frightening or something that is out of their control; it can interfere with relationships, emotional and mental processes, physical health, or feeling overwhelmed. But with the right support and tutorage, it can be rewarding, exciting and fascinating! You will also receive the requisite tools to develop and harness your skills. We run several Intuitive Development Courses, workshops and events to discover more.
As aforementioned, one of the best ways to uncover and work with your psychic abilities is to book a reading with a fellow psychic! We will be able to advise you on what particular gifts you have, how to cultivate them and what to do next, as well as answer any further questions you may have.
Leave in the comments below any questions or experiences you would like to share.